Finnish Packaging Recycling RINKI Ltd
Rinki ensures that sorting packaging is easy for consumers and that implementing producer responsibility is easy for businesses. It is easy for consumers to take their sorted packaging to Rinki eco take-back points, of which there are more than 1,850 across Finland – from Hanko to Utsjoki. Companies that pack products or import packed products to Finland are obliged to take care of their producer responsibility. Companies only need one contract to handle their producer responsibility for packaging.
Thousands of member companies
When a company signs a contract administered by Rinki, it transfers its producer responsibility for packaging to the producer organisations in the packaging sector. Nearly 4 500 companies have signed the contract. Thanks to the cost-efficient producer responsibility system funded by companies, only a very small portion of packaging is not reused in Finland.
Producer responsibility applies to companies that pack products or have their products packed in Finland or import packed products for the Finnish market or sell packed products directly to users in Finland through distance sales and have a turnover of at least one million euros. The purpose of legislation is, among other things, to save natural resources and prevent harm to the environment.
Finnish Packaging Recycling RINKI Ltd is a non-profit service company owned by Finnish industry and retail trade and founded in 1997. We provide companies with effective and sustainable solutions concerning the execution of producer responsibility for packaging. For consumers, we offer the Rinki eco take-back point network for the collection of packaging and recycling of glass packaging waste.
Rinki is owned by:
- The Finnish Grocery Trade Association
- The Finnish Food and Drink Industries’ Federation, ETL
- The Finnish Forest Industries Federation
- The Finnish Plastics Industries Federation
- The Finnish Packaging Association
- Federation of Finnish Commerce
- The Chemical Industry Federation of Finland
- Lasikeraaminen teollisuus LT ry(in Finnish)
- The Federation of Finnish Technology Industries
See also: Rinki Board 13/2/2020 (in Finnish)
Rinki works together with producer organisations in the packaging industry and ensures that the recycling of packaging and producer responsibility obligations can be handled easily and cost-effectively. Rinki’s responsibilities include:
Producer identification, customer service and invoicing
- Markets its own and the producer organisations’ services to companies with producer responsibility and draws up contracts
- Offers its customers advice on questions related to the producer responsibility
- Invoices customer companies for the recycling fees decided on by the producer organisations
Collection of packaging data, registers and reporting
- Maintains the producer register, collects the packaging data from producers and compiles the statistics as determined by the producer responsibility
- Reports to producer organisations according to the contracts and to the authorities as per the legal requirements
Collection and recycling of consumer packaging
- Designs and implements the packaging waste collection network for consumers, which is the responsibility of the producers
- Designs and implements glass packaging waste terminals, transportation and recycling
- Reports on the implementation of consumer packaging collection to producer organisations
Communications and lobbying
- Shares information about the collection and recycling of packaging waste as well as the producer responsibility systems and any changes to these
- Plans and implements communications to consumers that are required by the producer responsibility for packaging waste
- Protects the interests of packers and maintains relations with stakeholders
- Acts as a representative of Suomen Keräyslasiyhdistys ry (the producer organisation for non-deposit glass packaging)
RINKI Ltd's quality policy
We provide solutions for efficient recycling of packaging materials and the implementation of producer responsibility as stipulated in legislation and corporate responsibility schemes for producers bearing the producer responsibility, consumers, producer organisations and communities.
Our guiding principles are reliability, cost-effectiveness, service-minded attitude, expertise and usability.
Our operations are based on knowing the needs of our customers as well as our highly motivated and competent staff. We are committed to continually improving our operations so that we can meet the needs of our customers.
We manage our operations with a quality management system built in accordance with the ISO 9001:2015 standard. We are committed to the principles of the standard.